Thursday, October 9

The Pixies Sell Out.




Radiohead's Thome Yorke, after being informed of the Pixies plans to play before them at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, exclaimed:

No! That's just not right! The Pixies opening for us is like the Beatles opening for us. I won't allow it. There's no way we can follow the Pixies!

Comment by Gary Smith (producer of their first album):

I've heard it said about The Velvet Underground that while not a lot of people bought there albums, everyone who did started a band. I think this is largely true about the Pixies as well.



Kurt Cobain on Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit :

I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it (smiles). When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily I should have been in that band - or at least in a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard.




Pixies an aquired taste?

I don't know. I like them.

I have this DVD, forgotten about till I heard this song on the radio.

I'll have listen to it again.



This is "Monkey Gone to Heaven".



Letterman:




BBC:






"Monkey Gone to Heaven"'s main theme is environmentalism.The song mainly deals with man's destruction of the ocean and "confusion of man's place in the universe".



"Monkey Gone to Heaven" includes references to numerology in the lyrics

"If man is five/then the Devil is six/and God is seven".

No comments: