Wednesday, May 23

Lose some, win some.

Good news and bad news. Bob(the cat) probably didn't win. I needed to get an email today to confirm his selection. I checked and found nothing. I'm guessing we lost. Winners should be posted tomorrow. Bob (the cat) and I appreciate the support.

After work yesterday, Clint was paging thru the caller ID and found WXRT had called. That's a good thing. I had missed the call but called them back this morning.

Four years ago I won two "on stage" tickets to the Grateful Dead surviors (The Other Ones) at Alpine Music Theater at Lake Geneva. Clint and I went. We shook Phil Lesch's hand backstage, said hi, and ended up with our seats next to the wall of speakers ON the stage. In fact we sat on the empty speaker cases about 20 feet from the band (albeit in the shadows of the edge of the stage). Nothing could compare to looking "up" the hill of about 40,000 fans looking our direction. Not at us of course but we got the idea. I could see how being a rock star could be addictive.

This time I won tickets (lucky me) for Stevie Nicks and Chris Isaak. On the shores of Lake Michigan with Chicago as a backdrop. It's called Charter One Pavilion- Northerly Island. Walking distance (long) from the train with the Chicago Blues Festival also going on. I think we are going in early to catch the Blues Festival and then walk over to the concert (all in the same area - Grant Park).

Deja vu: I had to look it up, but my brother and I did the Blues Festival in 2000 and then went to see a highly desireable baseball game. Chicago White Sox vs the Chicago Cubs. Crosstown Classic. On the third base line, I sat next to a traffic reporter girl I heard everday on the Chicago news radio. Bonus was I knew of her (not everyone would have). Perfect except for the fact the game ran way late into extra innnings. So late...(Sox won by the way.)

Stevie:

My ex and I saw her in Fleetwood Mac at Alpine in the late 70's. Not with Peter Green (he was already having issues). The thing I remember most was a guy peeing from a tree on the hillside next to us. Never forgot the sound of dribbling. Our smuggled in drink of choice: Ripple Wine. The bottles fit nicely in the sleeves of my army surplus jacket.


Chris Isaak I like. He seems like a regular guy. I watched his Showtime show. My brother played the hell out of this song. I got sick of it but I still like it in moderation.


WXRT: Source of my musical inspirations for over 30 years. Gotta love them but if you don't know them this is boring.

5 comments:

mellowlee said...

Im so sad that Bob (the cat) did not win, but congrats on the concert tix YAY

Toccata said...

What a great way to start a long weekend! Hope you are able to snap a photo from what will no doubt be another great view.

Aww, give Bob(cat) an extra tummy rub for me. There must have been something funny with the voting. I never did trust you Americans to get it right! :)

Deb said...

I demand a recount (for Bob).

I love Fleetwood Mac...I was just over at YouTunes checking them out two days ago. I saw them years ago...people used to say I looked like Stevie Nicks. I'll go with that.

And I love that Chris Isaak song. My friend's sister is an artist who worked on the set for that show.

Deb said...

d'oh!!

Forgot to congratulate you on the win...good job. Sounds like you've already had one great experience...here's to another. Don't you love winning free stuff?

olivia said...

You've been lucky w/ tickets is seems. That's too bad about Bob, but he's a star in our eyes. >'.'<